In this post we discuss how to repair a corrupted Windows 10 with In place upgrade install of Windows 10 – with no loss of data and programs.
1. Sign in to an administrator account in Windows 10.
2. If you have not already, you will need to disable or uninstall any 3rd party AV or security program you have installed first to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade to Windows 10. You can reinstall it after Windows 10 has finished installing.
3. To do a repair install of Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool
Do not use the Media Creation Tool to do a repair install with if you have an older build of Windows 10 installed and wish to retain it since the Media Creation Tool will not include support for older builds. You will be upgraded to the latest build provided by the Media Creation Tool.
B) Save the MediaCreationTool.exe file to your desktop, and run it.
D) If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
E) Click/tap on Accept for the applicable notices and license terms. (see screenshot below)
F) Select (dot) Upgrade this PC now, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
G) Windows 10 will now start downloading. Go to step 6 below.
5. Select (dot) Download and install updates, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
7. Click/tap on Accept for the license terms. (see screen-shot below)
9. When ready, click/tap on Install to start the repair install of Windows 10. (see screenshot below)
If you would like to change what you keep, then click/tap on the Change what to keep link, choose what to keep, click/tap on Next, and go to step 8 above.
10. Windows 10 Setup will now start the in-place upgrade to repair install Windows. (see screenshots below)
11. When it’s ready, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
12. Click/tap on Use Express settings or Customize settings for how you want to set these settings, and go to step 16 (Use express settings) or step 13 (Customize settings) below. (see screenshot below)
14. Turn On or Off the Browser and protection and Connectivity and error reporting settings that you want, and click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
15. Click/tap on Next. (see screenshot below)
17. When each user signs in for the first time, they will see the first sign-in animation below before reaching their desktop.
18. Make sure that you have the correct time zone, date, and time set.
19. If you like, you could use Disk Cleanup to delete the Windows upgrade log files, Previous Windows installation(s), and Temporary Windows installation files items to free up the large amount of space that they take on your hard drive. (see screenshots below)
If you delete the Windows.old folder, you will no longer be able to go back to a previous version of Windows.